Main St., from a 1912 postcard Main Street
Coral, in Maple Valley Township, was first settled by Charles Parker in 1861. He became involved in lumbering. The lumber camp, called Stumptown, was later platted as Coral. Logging flourished and the Hart Oaks Company sawmill operated until 1880 when the pine forests in the area were exhausted. Coral Enterprise newspaper began publication here in 1875. The railroad came through in 1871 and as potato farming increased potato warehouses were built along the tracks in Coral and Trufant.