Flat River looking west, Gowen, early 1900's. Flat River and bridge, Gowen, early 1900's.
Gowen, located on the banks of the Flat River in Montcalm Township, was platted around 1845. It's first building was Worden's Mills which later housed a school and some businesses. It was primarily a lumber town having, two sawmills, a planning mill and two shingle mills. In 1853 August Rasmussen was among the early Danish pioneers to settle in the Gowen area. Later the Rev. Ole Amble came from Norway to found several Lutheran churches in the area. Several generations of families were married by him. The town suffered through a number of fires and upon the demise of the lumber industry in the area many resident moved on.