Looking north on Lafayette St., 1872. West side of Lafayette St. looking north, 1909.
Greenville, in Eureka Township, was first settled by John Green in 1844. It was platted 1853 and was chartered as a village in 1867 and incorporated as the city in 1871. The first newspaper, the Montcalm Reflector was published in 1854 and later became the Greenville Independent. After many publishing changes it became the Daily News. Greenville continued to grow and was an important center of the potato industry. It also became a major site of refrigerator production. Over the years many businesses flourished including the Meijer's store founded by Hendrik Meijer in 1934.