Community A - L: Historical Timeline for Montcalm County
10,500 BC
Probable date for arrival of humans in Michigan.

8000 BC
Documented evidence for Early Americans along the Flat River.

1800
Fur trading reached into Montcalm County.

1836
By the Treaty of Washington, 4/5 of Montcalm County had been ceded by the Indians (Ottawas, Chippewas, Potawatomies, Ojibwas) with rights to hunt, fish, etc. until the land was needed for settlement.

1837
Luther Lincoln believed to be the first settler Montcalm County.

Michigan becomes the 26th State of the Union.

1844
John Green becomes Greenville's first settler.

1845
Montcalm Township formed five years before Montcalm County was organized.

1847
Lansing established as State Capital.

1849
Two local Native Americans, Wis-to-gan and Pan-de-gar-cow-an, purchased 41.75 acres from the government within the original corporate limits of Greenville.

1850
Montcalm County was organized as a separate entity: Bushnell, Eureka and Fairplain Townships were organized. 

1852 
Bloomer Township organized.

1853
Danish immigrants arrive in Montcalm County.

1856
Crystal and Evergreen Townships were established.

1857 
Cato, Ferris, Pierson and Sidney Townships were established.

1860 
Stanton became the county seat.

1861 
Pine and Winfield Townships established.

1861-1865
Men from Montcalm County served in the Civil War.

1864 
Day, Douglass, Home and Maple Valley Townships were established.

1866 
First log run on the Flat River.

1867 
Belvidere Township was established. 

Amsden in Fairplain Township was founded by J.P. Shoemaker.

1869 
Reynolds and Richland Townships organized. 

1860's-1870's 
Railroads come to Montcalm County.

1870 
Pierson in Pine Township was named after David and Orson Pierson who settled there in 1854.

Langston in Pine Township was platted.

1874 
Fenwick in Fairplain Township was established.

1875
The Turk Lake Evangelical German Lutheran Society (later the Turk Lake United Methodist Church) was the first Congregation of this Society organized in Montcalm County.

The first gas lights were lighted in Greenville.

1878
The first telephone in Greenville.

1879
Six Lakes in Belvidere Township was platted.

1886 
Amble platted in July 1886 and named after the Rev. Ole Amble.

1887
The first electric lights in Greenville.

1890
The last log run on the Flat River and the end of the lumber era.

1907 
Big White Fish Lake was platted and was the site of the largest resort in Montcalm County in the early 1900's.


1914-1918 
Local citizens served in World War I.

1928
Vigilantes were formed in the towns of Montcalm County to protect against bank robberies.

1929
Stock Market crash brought hardship to Montcalm County.

1931
Gibson, the world's largest ice refrigerator manufacturer, began to produce electric refrigerators.

1933
Oil leases obtained across the northern part of the County.

1934
Meijer grocery store opened in Greenville.

1935 
Spectacular oil strike east of Crystal. 

1941
Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and Montcalm County citizens prepared for war.

1942
Gibson converted to war production of the CG4A glider.

1944
"Flying Falcon" glider used in D-Day invasion of Normandy.