Stanton, 1879 Main St. looking east, 1880's-1890's
Stanton, in Sidney Township, was designated the county seat, after a ten year period when Greenville served as the temporary location. There was much rivalry between the two communities over this question. The site was originally called Fred after Fred Hall who donated the 40 acres for the site. The name was later changed to Stanton which was approved by the legislature in 1863. Like many other communities Stanton became a lumber town and was the site of many lumber, lathe and shingle mills. Stanton had a beautiful courthouse which was destroyed by fire on February 16, 1905, although the county records were saved. The present courthouse was built in 1910.