Animal Control Animal Control

If you are looking to adopt an animal, please click on the link below for a full list of adoptable animals.

Adopt A Pet

Montcalm County Animal Control

The shelter is open by appointment only.  For Animal Control Emergencies Please Call 911.

The Animal Control Officer enforces the State of Michigan Dog Laws, assists with public safety issues dealing with rabies, performs kennel inspection, and investigates cruelty complaints.   Montcalm Animal Control accepts monetary donations for animals with medical emergencies as well as blankets, laundry detergent, paper towels, bleach, treats, dog & puppy food, and toys.  Please contact Autumn at 989-831-7302.

Summons Fees 
Summons fees can be paid with cash at the Treasurer's Office or by credit card using the following link:

Please provide a copy of the receipt to the Treasurer's Office when paying summons fees.
BPF Logo

What To Do After An Animal Bite:

If someone you know is bitten by a dog, cat or any type of warm-blooded animal:
  • Don't ignore it, don't panic and don't kill the animal unless it is wild or cannot be captured.
  • Try to identify the animal in case it gets away.
  • Seek first aid (clean the wound immediately) and call your family doctor or visit the local Clinic or Emergency room and call the Mid-Michigan District Health Department at 989-831-3615. 
  • The Health Department should provide information regarding the quarantine of the animal.
  • Contact Animal Control for a bite report and fill out the FOIA Request Form and email to
If You Own the Animal That Has Bitten Someone
  • Don't kill it or put it to sleep.
  • Don't give it away or allow it to stray. Keep it confined away from other people and animals.
  • Call Animal Control immediately.
  • Have any vaccination records and licensing receipts ready to show the officer.
  • It must be quarantined for 10 days.

The owner is responsible for their pet if it bites and may be held responsible for medical expenses that may result.

Rabies can be transmitted when a bite or scratch is inflicted by an infected mammal. Rabies most often resides in wildlife populations of bats, skunks, and foxes.

Dogs and cats may also carry this fatal virus if they come into contact with infected wildlife or pets. Vaccinating our pets against rabies helps to protect them and the community against this deadly virus.

Michigan Dog Laws
  • All dogs must be licensed when they reach 6 months of age.
  • All dogs must be confined on the owner's property or on a leash, or under direct control at all times.
  • You must not permit your dog to trespass or destroy the property of others.

Violations of any of the above may result in the animal involved being impounded, the owner being issued a summons to appear in court or a warrant being issued for the owner's arrest

Licensing & Law Information
Dog licenses are available from the Montcalm County Treasurer's Office located on the 2nd Floor of the County Administrative Building, 211 W. Main Street, Stanton. Their office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Their phone number is 989-831-7334 

Please refer to the Dog Law of 1919 for any other questions.