When May a Guardianship Be Modified or Terminated?

Anyone, including the ward, may file a petition to terminate the guardianship (PDF) or to have a different guardian appointed. Upon the filing of a petition to terminate or modify, the same procedure will be followed as when a new guardianship petition is filed. There is a $20 filing for the petition.

When the adult dies, the court should be notified immediately and a copy of the death certificate provided so that the guardianship can be ended and the court's case closed.